Sew Many Quilt Books, Sew Little Time!






Have you noticed how many amazing Quilt books are out these days? 

I have too! I could go broke collecting all of them!







I was lucky enough to receive three amazing Books last month for my birthday. My favorite right now is Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet. I could hardly turn the page I loved every block! I also really love that it's a spiral style notebook. I can totally imagine myself sewing block after block and working through the book till the very last page. When will I ever have the time to do that? I don't know, but I love the thought of it! That's a great goal! Maybe I'll give myself a year. Yikes, I just checked out Lori's Blog and she has an adorable Gobble Gobble Thanksgiving quilt!  Add that to the goal too! 






While on vacation this summer in the small town of Thibodaux, Louisiana, with time on my hands, I discovered libraries have Quilt books! I'm not sure why I'd never thought of this before!  My local library allows you to check out 50 Books at a time. (mind blowing, I know!) This is an excellent way to audition all the different quilt books out there and find the ones that best suit you. It also allows you to check out older quilt books. 

Modern quilts aren't exactly a new style.  Check out 'Gee's Bend' style of quilts for examples. Those date back to the early twenteth century and look very modern. There are a million great stories, blocks and quilts tied up in some of these older books. Check out your local library for the latest and greatest or the gently used prints. I found The Modern Medallion Workbook there. I can't get enough of this book either. I think I've checked it out three times now. :) It's probably next on my must purchase list.   And ebooks don't really work for me.  I want to hold these books.  Just like wine I want to uncork my wine, not a twist top!  Call me old fashion!

The next rainy morning we have, I'm looking forward to curling up with The Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilts . Not only does it have great blocks, but it has short stories to go with each block! We live in California so I might be waiting a long time, but I can tell fall is coming and I'm loving the cooler weather and football! (it's hard to watch football and quilt - but I'll be working on it!) 

I hope you all can spending time exploring all the great Quilt books that are currently available. Like a favorite cookbook, check out the ingredients, the techniques. Does it resonate with you?

I hope you find some inspiration, new techniques and a little love story that brings you back to the root of it all! 

Keep sewing my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment