Child's Tote Bag


Sew, I'm at it again :) As I mentioned my nieces birthday is upon us.  I made her the Coral, Queen of the Sea doll but she also "needs" a camping bag like her Mom and Nana.  I made this bag about 10 years ago and loved it.  I used a canvas owl print fabric, and it was larger but basically the same.  This adorable fabric is made by Timeless Treasures and it's the perfect fabric for a camping tote bag.  The inside fabric is sleeping bags, using my stash.  I love using what I have on hand #usingmystashup! :)
In looking for a quick pattern I went to Pinterest, I ended up using The Reusable Market Bag posted by maricucu.blogspot.co.uk.
I cut the outside and inside fabric together at once so that all the edges would line up perfectly.


 I decided to use make the smaller option.  I didn't want the bag to swallow up my niece.  She's only 6...but in hindsight I wish I had made the larger one.  I think she would have been alright.  Really the small bag can hold a cartoon of eggs and one head of Romaine lettuce and you're done.  Luckily she'd never want to carry these items so we're good!  :)
 This bag starts off pretty straight forward, sewing around the handles, cut slits in seam around the curves for ease in the fabric so everything will lay nice and flat when you turn the bag right side out.  Always iron and set your seam.  Trim the seam allowances and clip corners to also help with the final look of the bag.  These steps will give the bag a more finished look, which I really like.
Now follow the pattern very closely for sewing the handles together, it gets a little tricky!  You stack the outside bag ontop of the inside bag, both right sides out.  You stick your hand up inside the first layer grabbing the other layers and flip them inside out.  Sew your seam and pull right sides out and magically the seams are all hidden inside, and the handles are made!







Doesn't that look nice?



 We sew a 1/4 around the neck of the bag, again this is all to make the bag nice and polished off.  These little steps really dial in your projects.




With the sides of the bag, you carefully sew them up without catching the handles.  I'm a pinner.  Are you a pinner?  And I never sew over my pins, I hear some do but I was always told that was a no no..and contrary to belief I am not a law breaker!  ;)


 We'll fold the handle in half towards the center of the bag and stitch in the ditch (sew in the seam).


Closing the bottom of the bag, fold the sides in at a natural fold line following the handle fold.  Sew the seam on the right side of fabric (I know, I too thought,whatttt) but it works! Then flip the inside out
sew another seam on the bottom of the bag. This is a French seam, it hides the seams on the outside and inside..sew smart and clean! 




Here's a peak at the inside bag.  See how all the seams are encased?  I love that!  I like to hide all of my seams. Nothing is better than when you give a gift and they question if it's handmade or not.  That makes it all worth it for me!















There are a ton of similar bags available on Pintrest.  Let me know your favorites!



One thank you from this lovely girl makes all the time you put into making a handmade gift completely worth it!  All my heart strings are strung all at once! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment